Friday, April 22, 2016

Anacortes - Life on the Grill

Like many, grilling is part of our RV adventures.  Unlike most, Laura is a former professional chef, and restaurant and catering business owner, so that adventurous spirit is also an element of our dining.  Today Laura shares what she has learned on her food blog "Low Carb Sisters", www.lowcarbsisters.com.


The opportunities to enjoy Laura's meals on the road have increased with our motorhome.  It oddly started on the water with the purchase of our Bayliner 38 motor yacht in 2008 when technology was starting to make it possible to work remoting, and yet stay connected with one's team beyond just phone calls.  As the technology got better, suddenly vacations become work/vacations by choice.  Instead of coming back to the office and facing a mountainous backlog of work, it was now possible to stay on top of things, while fitting vacation time into the same schedule.  As an early riser (typically 4 am), I found I could get 4-6 hours of work in before Laura got up, which contributed to not needing to use up vacation time so quickly.

Being able to work from wherever I have an Internet connection is an unimaginable luxury compared to past years where one was tethered to hardwired connections.  In my experience, most RV park WiFi Internet connects are nearly useless due to bandwidth, reliability, or speed issues.  Marinas tend to be better, but even they can be hit and miss.  I rely on my 4G LTE mobile phone to keep me connected.  My typical data consumption is 500 Mbytes to 1 Gbyte per workday depending on the number of Skype for Business conferences I have to attend.

So how does technology bring us back to talking about Laura's food?  As technology advances have allowed me to work away from the office and home, it has had an interesting impact on Laura's creativity as she has had to find ways to bring the culinary arts to a boat galley, tent trailer camp stove, and now to our Safari Sahara motorhome's generous but still limited galley when compared to her gourmet kitchen back home.  I always smile when Laura posts something to her food blog that she prepared and photographed while on the road because while we're enjoying the benefits of technology by getting to work on the road, she's showing her readers what can be accomplished with just making due with what you have at hand.


Even under the overcast skies of an April evening, one just can't beat the view out one's office window when compared to being back home and going to work.


Earlier in the day, Laura brought me back lunch from my favorite Noodle place in Anacortes (Teriyaki Time, 910 11th St).  Considering how much Laura and I like boating and the water, the fortune cookie that came with my meal seemed fitting.



Live well, Laugh often, Love much

No comments:

Post a Comment