Sunday, October 8, 2017

Lunch on Newport's Historic Bayfront District Waterfront

As a still active fishing waterfront, historic Bayfront is a blend of tourist attractions and a gritty working port. Any visit to Newport needs to set aside time to enjoy the restaurants, shops, and sights in this neighborhood.
Typical Bayfront architecture
On this visit to Bayfront, our destination was the Clearwater restaurant that had opened in the two years since our last visit to the area (www.clearwaterrestaurant.com).

The Clearwater restaurant
I grew up in a time when everything from spinach and asparagus to Brussels sprouts and peas was boiled and cooked to death to create a miserable bitter tasting mess that passed as "eat your vegetables".  I know this wasn't limited to the home I grew up in as a child, because my friends described the same experience.  This all changed for me in the 90's with Laura's formal culinary training.  Today I enjoy a diverse palette of cooked vegetables and have come to understand that it is about how they are prepared.  I relate this story because Brussels sprouts is one of those foods I shivered at as a kid as I tried to swallow it without tasting it when it was served.  The Clearwater prepares a crispy Brussels sprouts appetizer that is amazing.

The crispy Brussels sprouts appetizer was awesome!
Laura and I are pretty low-carb, and Laura is gluten-free.  That translates into typically not having dessert, but I made an exception at the Clearwater because I was fascinated by the idea of a carrot cake waffle (Laura's carrot cake and icing are world class).  Wow! This dessert is not to be missed.

Carrot cake waffle dessert, OMG!
Our seat at the Clearwater placed us next to the windows overlooking the bay.   Despite the broken clouds, it was a beautiful day.

View from the Clearwater
We got to watch a regatta during lunch
The Clearwater also looks down on the seal docks


Live well, Laugh often, Love much

No comments:

Post a Comment