Thursday, July 19, 2018

Cap Sante Marina

Cap Sante Marina.
Today I decided to hop on my bike and ride the two miles over the Tommy Thompson Trail to Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes.  While I technically passed through Anacortes in 1986 while on my honeymoon, 1999 was the first I was introduced to the marina when Laura, Sean, and I joined Catalina 22 Fleet 20 on a ten-day cruise of the San Juan Islands and the Canadian Gulf Islands.

Cap Sante in the background.
Cap Sante Marina has evolved a lot in the past nineteen years.  In 1999, the commercial docks had migrated to concrete, but the recreational docks were still wood.  In fact, at the time, the marina allowed boathouses, something you don't see today.

Our Catalina 22 "Harmony" berthed next to a Bayliner 38 in July 1999.  Nine years later, Laura and I would own a Bayliner 38, after upgrading from the Catalina 22 to a Catalina 30 mkIII.
The commercial side of the marina.
One of the nice features of the marina is that trailered boats don't have to be ramp launched where the trailer would be submerged in salt water.

Trailer boat lift.
1999 Trailer Boat Launch.
Our son Sean takes a picture of mom and dad after the three of us spent ten days in the islands.
A sample of the thriving wooden boat community in Anacortes.
I continued to ride my bike all the way to the breakwater at the entrance to the marina.  As is common around Anacortes, there are picnic tables and benches for folks to rest at when out biking or walking.

Breakwater
Beach at the breakwater.
The entrance to the marina.
The following photo sums up Cap Sante.  It's a comfortable home to both small and large vessels.  In this particular case, the small vessel is a thirty-two feet long Nordic Tug.

Someone always has more.
The north end of the marina has 26-36 foot slips.
Looking south.

Anacortes prides itself as the gateway to the San Juan Islands.  I've begun journeys on sailboats and powerboats from the marina, and with Safeway just across the street for provisioning, and West marine just a couple of blocks away, I can attest to it be a wonderful place to start and end a cruise.


Live well, Laugh often, Love much

No comments:

Post a Comment